Thorin, Fili and I really enjoyed Mr. Boggin's seed cakes, he baked several fresh loafs one afternoon and we we wolfed them down...along with the rest of his food that was stored in his pantry. *ahem* But that's beside the point, the point is his cakes were delicious and Mr. Boggin's most graciously agreed to share the recipe with us, and we are passing it along to all our fellow dwarf, elf, hobbit, human, and so forth, friends to try.
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 eggs ( I used duck eggs)
- 2 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
- Half a cup of seeds (I used Chia, Flax, and Poppy seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon each nutmeg and cinnamon
- 1-2 teaspoons of Vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons Coconut Sugar (for sprinkling on top of the loaves before baking)
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Grease four 4 1/2-inch springform pans (I used two small bread loaf pans).
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl in between additions.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the flour, seeds, and spices.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stirring well.
- Add the vanilla, combine.
- Add the remaining flour mixture, being sure not to overmix.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar over the top of each cake.
Cream together wet ingredients
Add in your eggs, one at a time.
Mix together your flour,
Butter you baking pans.
Spoon the dough into the prepared pans.
Sprinkle with Coconut Sugar.
Bake until golden brown.
Serve with plenty of butter.
Enjoy with your cup of afternoon tea,
and lots of good dwarven company. ; )
~ At Your Service ~